Updated: Nov 8, 2022
This attractive strip of parkland runs between Dymchurch Road and the Royal Military Canal from Red Lion Square in the east to the main road at its western end. A generous paved footpath/cycleway runs the full length beside the canal and another footpath crosses the field from Dymchurch Road northwards to Military Road with a footbridge over the canal.
The field used to be part of the historic military Small Arms School. After representations by Hythe Civic Society to SDC a licence was granted to have the land named "Holman’s Field" in
memory of Brigadier John Charles Holman, 1938 -- 2011, whose distinguished military career included service at the Small Arms School and appointment as Deputy Constable of Dover Castle.
In retirement he served our Community enthusiastically for many years as Deputy Lieutenant of Kent, Chairman of the Hythe Festival Committee and Chairman of the Hythe Civic Society. HCS provided the explanatory plaque mounted near the footpath.